Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Little House in the Big Woods


Okay, so I had never read these as a kid. Very cool stories about what it was like to live a long time ago. It makes you appreciate how easy we have it, but their life seems like a lot of fun too. Also, not sure what to do about the songs about "Old Darkey" or the Injun bread, since I'd rather not have to explain the history of race relations in this country to my six year old. Also the scary panthers, now totally extinct in Wisconsin and probably all of the Eastern US, except for a very endangered population in Florida. It does give some perspective on the whole environmental movement (kind of, although there's still no excuses for anyone under 95.)

3 comments:

Karen said...

i enjoy your book reviews. we enjoyed having chris and da and enzo. mimi called christian "jesse" occasionally. he is a good sport. look forward to your next installment.

Mariko said...

I love that book. Lots of good food memories (I think I've told you about my childhood food associations with children's books-- not that much food in adult books, really). I remember in particular snow with maple syrup. I wonder if that actually tastes as good as it reads.

Jesse said...

That's Miriam's favorite chapter too. I think it has more to do with the dance and pretty dresses as the food, but it certainly caught her imagination.