Wednesday, May 27, 2009

the Maine part of the trip


Was also lovely. Saw Israel and Cailin on Monday morning. (Thanks for coming into the city to see me, btw.) Went to Muji for Bekah, but they didn't have what she wanted. And since I took my chances and waited until they opened at 11, I barely made my flight. On the subway, I met a guy from Hawaii in NY for a conference on global warming and indigenous peoples. Got into Maine at 2 or so, rented a car and saw a little state park on the coast. Lots of little islands offshore, vary calm water. Prepared for my presentation, took a walk around campus, and got to bed at a decent hour and then didn't fall asleep until 3:30 am. Still, everything went well. My jobtalk, teaching demonstration, interviews. I really like the college, my colleagues, the town. Here is a pictures are of the college.

Here is one of of the falls and the mill, one of which is no longer running. While I was still in Utah, on my way home, I found out they were offering me the job. Everything so far has met or exceeded my expectations, and so I am pretty excited about the whole thing.

6 comments:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

congrats again. This is beautiful. It reminds me of my days at MHC and our townhouse/old paper mill and the dam outside our window. There is such a nice charm to the east coast. I hope you guys enjoy it there. You're going to have to blog more so we can keep up with the seasons, specially all the snow and Fall colors.

Kaity said...

It looks pretty cool there. Maybe I'll have to come and visit by myself since Danny can't seem to make it east of Colorado.

Karen said...

i about to go to bed and just decided to see if there was something new. thank you for sharing your good news. i hope to see you and your family before you move east.

sienna said...

congrats. glad it worked out. maine looks beautiful and like a whole new type of adventure.

chelsea said...

Maine!! R u kidding me! Amazing!!!!

Pamela Palmer said...

you'll have to stay long enough for me to come and visit.