Monday, February 8, 2010

Settlers of Maine

So Gwyn has been really into games lately, mostly Crazy Eights and Uno. So, on Friday night I decided to teach the girls how to play Settlers of Catan. It turns out, you actually don't need to know how to read to play. Gwyn has her own distinct strategy of buying lots of development cards, which has actually served her pretty well. The girls wanted to play again Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday we upgraded to Seafarers, since Miriam was complaining about too many sheep. Overall, we are very cooperative traders and pretty good neighbors on the island, except Gwyn who likes to cut people off. It's pretty exciting that we can have a full game with just our own little family (who needs friends, I guess). And it is great relief to think we might be permanently past the mind numbing, Chinese molasses drip torture of Candyland.

7 comments:

Yesenia said...

This is your gypsy mama speaking: I predict lots of fun in your future. (from pam not yesenia)

sienna said...

glad your kids share your love of games. someone mentioned the Great Khan game the other day and was surprised that I had heard of it. I confessed I had no idea how to play, just that I had watched my brothers play for hours. same goes for risk, axis and allies, etc. sky's the limit.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

we are so not past candy land. Enzo's version is different, he's all about the cards with the pictures.

the only game I actually enjoy playing with him is dominoes.

Mariko said...

Good to know. I am not going to buy Candyland.
I will be happy when there is at least one person in my house who likes games.

Kaity said...

I can't believe it. I feel like your girls are like adults now or something. We should try and play some games at the camp out in July.

Melinda said...

candyland ends in tears here. but we can actually do memory now, and follow most of the rules.
we played settlers saturday with ella and our next door neighbor olis who's 8. ephraim monopolized all the resources, had like 3 cities, and longest road within a dozen turns. i thought it would end in tears, too. but surprisingly they wanted to play again. olis also loves playing tron on our computer.
it would be fun to play games with your girls.

Bekah said...

I can't wait to unload candyland on some poor unsuspecting parent this next move. Gwyn likes to stack the picture cards in her favor, then watch you flounder behind her.

Settlers has been fun, the kids are ready to play this weekend.