Saturday, June 7, 2008

Boy Scouts of America in Japan

So, I am 2nd counselor in the young men's presidency and one of four assistant scoutmasters for our stake wide troop. It is the exact same calling I had in California and I like it a lot. But there are some unique Japan challenges. They just sort of assume that you have things like a lake at your disposal. The swimming requirements assume you have things that I have yet to see in Tokyo, or anywhere nearby. A deep, uncrowded pool/lake to do lifesaving exercises. Someplace where you can demonstrate safe use of an axe. There are campsites in Japan, but usually they don't allow axes or open fires. And who has an axe or camp saw? Yesterday we went swimming to pass of some stuff for their second class rank so we could have our steak and cake party. First hassle was finding enough swim caps for everyone. We got two and just decided to share. (Our young men's president had a long discussion with the lifeguard about why the people not swimming would also need swim caps.) It's fun though. I am looking forward to summer and doing some more hiking and backpacking.

6 comments:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

Chris just got released as YM counselor and is now also a scout master. I think the calling is perfect for you active hiking guys.

Steak and cake party?! Sounds like your worst nightmare. Aren't you a vegetarian and also a sugar hater?

Jesse said...

No, I have just been observing the least observed scripture in Mormon scripture, D&C 89:13, and eating meat sparingly. So I eat a little bit here and there. When I can get MSC certified fish, I think I will be okay with that. Never had any problem with sugar though. I eat too much and it makes me feel horrible, but other than that.

ephraim said...

Not that I could expect more from a community college in the South Pacific, but I never use the library here. It never has what I need, even locally produced stuff. I think it would be awesome to wander the library in Name of the Rose.

Is it called Boy Scouts of America there? Or is it Boy Scouts of Japan? Though swimming skills are required of all scouts regardless of where they live, there are other merit badges that are almost impossible if you don't live in the right place. Oceanography in Nebraska, for instance. You probably have more leaders fudging numbers in places like Tokyo to advance their ranks.

Jesse said...

It would be cool to wander through the library in the Name of the Rose, but not to try and use it to write your dissertation. Although I have been enjoying the craziness of the library a little bit more since I've figure it out better.
Actually, it is Boy Scouts of America. Most of the troops are from the military bases and so they are pretty hard core, since the military is pretty much professional boy scouts. Many of the requirements are a little strange, like the backpacking merit badge requires a total of 14 days of hiking, but only 75 miles total. That comes out to 5 miles a day, or maybe two or three hours of hiking. Miriam could do that easily. But who has that kind of free time? Makes no sense.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

chris told me you stopped eating sugar when you got married. I thought you hadn't had sugar for years. Woah this is totally new info for me. I'll have to make you flan or some lilikoi mousse when you visit.

Mariko said...

The library stuff sounds just like a Japanese movie. Or the setting of a Murakami book. You read Dance Dance Dance, right? That's my current favorite.