Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Hobbit


I wasn't planning on reading it to her for a while, but then we read everything else. So I let her choose if she wanted to read The Hobbit or something else, and she chose The Hobbit. Although some of it is scary, like the Gollum part, and the Warg part we are coming up to, but she will love Beorn and his ponies. And for some one who has read it often as I have, I read all four books once a year or so from the end of elementary school through middle school, or so, I am really enjoying it. I am finding I am getting some stuff I probably missed, like the inter-personal dynamics and more subtle characterization. I am already several chapters ahead of Miriam, but have forced myself to stop, so we can enjoy it together.

4 comments:

Kaity said...

Awesome. I haven't read the Hobbit yet and I'm too lazy. Can you read it to me next?

Bekah said...

Can I tell you how much I appreciate that you read to her EVERY night! She loves it, totally looks forward to it. Thank you.

ephraim said...

I haven't read it to Ella but have told her the story. Well, as best as I can remember it. Last time I read it was 2002. She loved the Beorn scene and the intro with all the dwarves barging into Bilbo's home with their different colored hats and cloaks. She strangely enjoys the Gollum parts and wants to hear about them repeatedly. Good on you for reading to M so much.

Jesse said...

Kaity, Sure. Gio will be big enough in a few years and you can read it to him, or have Danny. That'll be pretty fun to read it for the first time. i am finding that kids books are some of my favorite fun reading. Like, I just read Howl's Moving Castle and loved it.
Eph, Gollum is pretty fun and Ella is a unique girl. That's cool. Miriam has increased her tolerance for scary hugely. Now she says, it's scary, but I want you to keep reading.
Reading to her is actually very enjoyable. I highly recommend it. I get a little annoyed when Gwyn wants the same Disnified, preachy easy reader ten times a day, but now that I can read Miriam real books, I have no complaints.