Sunday, September 7, 2008

Nikko

So here's some picts and a synopsis from my final trip before I left Japan. It was nice to be reminded how beautiful Japan can be.
Day one. Took the train out. Hiked to Kirifuri Falls, which everyone sees, and about four more down in the valley, which no ones sees. Then hiked up to the top of the mountain and stealth camped in a clearing on a ridge. No danger of being discovered as there was a light rain all day and I only met one other hiker in the lower section.
Day two. Traversed the long ridge over four or five peaks. Started at six and hiked till five or so, although the last hour and a bit was on roads. Despite expensive rain gear, I was totally soaked a few hours in and stayed cold and wet all day. Since it was cloudy, there were no real views, but the ridge itself was reminiscent of the Koolau summit, except there was a trail and the mud was usually only 2-4 inches or so, instead of the summit 8-12. And there were pine trees. After all those hours my knees were killing me. The bad one because its weak, and the good one because it had to do twice as much work. Plus they don't believe in grading trails, so for a 800 meter vertical descent, the trail is maybe 900 meters long. Ouch. Luckily the day ended in Yumoto, which is full of natural hotsprings.
Day three. Hiked down through the main valley, around several lakes and along a stream, and through a wetlands, and past some waterfalls, ending at Kegon falls with lots of tourists again. Caught the train home again.

5 comments:

ephraim said...

that is a seriously bizarre combination of Ko'olaus and the PCT. I would have loved to hike that with you. There are two nice peaks on Tutuila that I'm hoping to hike one of these dry days. I guess I have the luxury of waiting for the dryness and no rain gear, not that it gets cold or anything.

sienna said...

wow. beautiful pictures. definitly not what i think of when i think of japan.

Mariko said...

Freak. Why have I not gone to these places? Want to go back?

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

Wow. who knew japan looks like that?
! I'm glad you're back though. Hope to see you somehow soon.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

That las comment was from me, pam