Saturday, July 5, 2008

Yet another advantage of bikes


So, my bike has been making funny noises when I pedal for the last few months. At first, it was only when I went up really big hills, but then it got more and more common. So I checked Sheldon Brown's website and it looked like something might be loose. So, three weeks ago, I went to Shibuya and bought some tools and tightened everything down by the pedals, but it didn't help. So finally, I tried again with the bike in the living room, online looking at Sheldon Brown's site and checking up all the terms I didn't know. So it turns out it is probably the bottom bracket and I need yet a bunch more tools I don't have and maybe to replace something. So I decide just to take it to a shop. There is one kind of close by. Even though I am only going to be here two more months, I would feel bad selling a bike I knew had a problem. So I finally make it over there as they're closing. Anyway, long story short. He has to replace the bottom bracket and it cost $60. At first, I was thinking this was a lot. Then I thought about it in relation to a car. It costs $60 just to have them open the hood. If they pick up a screw driver, then add $20. I mean the bike only cost $400. Eventually, I plan on having all these tools and knowing how to do this, but for now, this is fine. And long term, I feel much more confident about the possibility of becoming a competent bike mechanic than ever knowing enough about cars. Especially since cars keep getting more complicated and the internal combustion engine will soon be obsolete. I hope.

3 comments:

Pamela Palmer said...

You could live on it (Bike mechanics) in China.

Mariko said...

Jake says-- Any bike question, call him. Disclaimer: Just because he can fix it doesn't necessarily mean that he could explain to you how to fix it. Tighten the bottom bracket, or get a new one, is what he says about this. Too late, I guess. :)

Jesse said...

Yeah, I thought about calling him, probably should have. I just didn't have the tools or want to have to find everything here. Although I think buying the tools and the new part wouldn't have been that much less than what I spent. Plus time. Stuff is expensive here.