Sunday, October 26, 2008

Not much happening

Or too much happening to blog about. So to keep up on some random threads I've started in case we haven't actually talked.

Xtracycle is temporarily out of commission since I almost got a ticket. A police guy pulled me over and lectured me on bike safety with ticket book in hand. Finally let me go so I could take M to school, which was great since we don't have that kind of money. M was a little traumatized; didn't want to be late. But luckily, we'd left early. Stuff like that encourages my libertarian leanings. Fortunately, the double bike seat I'm making just got it's third coat of varnish, and I just need to buy some webbing and screws to finish it.

I have biked to the beach twice and driven once or twice. Surf has still been pretty good, but I am getting a little tired of closeout barrels. But its been epic for here and I know it.

The Klepper has been great, but it is kind of a lot of work. We've gone on three trips, back bay, Corona Del Mar to Crystal cove, and Newport Harbor. Set up is 20 min and a bit, more if I put something in wrong and have to take it all apart and start over. (In German. Vorne = front, Hinter= back). If you waterlog the boat, the pieces take a while to dry. Everything needs to be dry before it can be packed away, so it all get strewn about the living room for a while. Luckily it is all wood and pretty. Hull needs some of the reinforcing strips glued down. Wood frame needs to be re-varnished at some point soon. Maybe Christmas break. But it is super fun. I love being out on the water with everyone. Especially in the evening, when the water is all golden. The kids are good sports, although they have been cold. I think the solution is not to get wet before we start. We are thinking of christening it the "blue seaweed princess" or something like that. We'll let you know when we finish the flag.

I am applying to jobs. I am actually really excited about some of them. There's a handful on the West coast that would be great. Some further East I am pretty excited about as well. It is a lot of work and kind of stressful and it's hard to imagine being someplace new longterm. Some of these places we could actually afford a house on a teacher's salary. Anyway, if you want to hear more about this, let's talk.

2 comments:

sienna said...

the kayak sounds fun. i liked the pics on bekah's blog. let us know how the applications go. there is a certain appeal to the middle of the country, but are you really considering a place without waves?

Pamela Palmer said...

hi jesse. sorry we never talked. yes, it all sounds good. what did he want to give you the ticket for? i had overofficiousness. (and then they do nothing when someone bashes your back window with a baseball bat.) the pictures did make the water look pretty. we went to a fun little cove to the right of turtle bay this afternoon. a good place for kids when you come next. hope you do get a job but not too much farther away.