Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Xtracyle fun

It's now okay if we get rid of the car. Today I woke up at 6:30 and decided--I've been thinking about it for a bit--to ride to the beach to go surf on my bike. It was AWESOME. My estimate was that it would take me 45 minutes, being out of shape and all, but I got there in 40. It takes 20 to drive and 5-10 to find a parking space, so it only cost 30 minutes of surfing, but I got a free 20 mile bike ride (which I need, since my knee still needs help). I can just wake up 30 minutes earlier, right. Better yet, over half of it was along back bay drive, a small road/bike path that runs along a beautiful estuary with glistening purple and gold water, mist, and lots of birds. Here's a picture.
It actually looks like this. Way nicer than the freeway. Coming home took a little while longer, since our house is probably several hundred feet above sea level. Also, the xtracycle is pretty slow, so what I really need is a road bike with a surfboard rack, or better yet, salvage an old mountain bike and throw on some road tires. I may never drive to the beach again. The waves were pretty good too.

3 comments:

sienna said...

i get lazy when it comes to uphill, but it is so good for me. i miss riding me bike. it's a good warm up for surfing to get your blood flowing before you get in that freezing california water.

Mariko said...

Why is it slow?
And aren't you worried about it being stolen, beefy lock and all?

Jesse said...

My bike lock is pretty worthless, it's basically from the dollar store. I should get a beefier lock, but apparently nothing works all that well until you are up in the 90 dollar range or so, and even then. (In my plans to recycle abandoned bikes in our apartment complex I have been researching how to remove old bike locks, and it is amazing how easy it is.) I was a little worried, but most bike thieves aren't out that early. That is another advantage to recycling an old mountain bike.