Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Resolutions

So, for my Saint Patrick's Day resolution, I have decided that I am going to start training for and eventually compete in a full length triathlon. (Apparently the Ironman people are pretty touchy about the trademark infringement.) Anyway, so it's a 2.5 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, followed by a 26 mile run. I want to do it sometime before or during my 33rd year. So, this year or next. Basically, I have been running and swimming fairly regularly, but without any kind of goals, so it gets kind of boring. Also, my leg is still weak and I hate feeling like I am still not fully recovered. And, I'm getting older and don't like feeling like I am succumbing to decrepitude. I am hoping this will push back the tide a little bit. Finally, it seems like I will still not be anywhere I can surf regularly for the next year or more, and basically, running, swimming, and biking is the most exercise for the amount of time spent, and I don't really have a lot of time. So, this is not really to brag or anything, but just to put it out there to force myself to be a little bit more serious about the whole thing. Also, if anyone wants to join me in setting their own exercise goal, we can try to keep each other honest. I think I will try and post about how it's going fairly regularly. Anyone interested?

4 comments:

Bekah said...

dude, i love you, but i'm not ready to commit to anything more than a 10k. but i promise to cheer you on, and give you massages the week after you finish.

sienna said...

impressive. i just ran a 5K last weekend and it occurred to me. instead of training for longer and longer races, i'll train for faster and faster 5Ks, cause i don't like running for that long.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

does eating count as exercise? I totally work on my mouth muscles. I'm ridiculous!

I hate, loath, despise running. I love walking on a treadmill because I barely move while listening to my favorite podcasts and call it good. I am queen of placebo exercise.

but...

I need to step it up a notch so I'm going to recommit to my Zumba classes twice a week.

I love that you're going to do a triathlon especially at 33, the age of Christ, as Brazilian (other people too I'm sure) call it. In Brazil when people turn 33 they do all sorts of things to celebrate the age of Christ. It's usually sleeping around or something very carnaval type things.

Jesse said...

Sienna, I don't know if impressive is the right word for this stage, maybe overly ambitious. So far, I've just been doing my normal exercise, since I'm waiting for some books I ordered to come. That and I can't get myself out of bed before 7:00.
Da, I'd thought about it being the year Christ died, but didn't know it was a big deal in Brazil. Kind of like a preplanned midlife crisis, although 33 is perhaps a little early. No disrespect intended, but I am hoping it will be more like the resurrection and less like what led up to it, although I guess it's kind of all connected.
I kind of hate running too for the first twenty minutes, then it starts to get fun. (So by the end of 12 hours, it should be really fun, right.) It makes a huge difference to me if you have some beautiful to run. I can run twice as far someplace beautiful and interesting. That's why treadmills feel like torture. I've tried reading, but then I can't really keep up the pace I want to.